Clay County Heritage Center Capital Campaign:
Parker Historical Society is adding a second location at 7 Grand Ave in Spencer! Click here for our brochure. Contact us for more information or if you wish to donate to the capital campaign.
Why are fireworks banned in Iowa? The traveling exhibit “A Blaze of Glory: The Great Spencer Fire of 1931” provides the answer. This traveling exhibit and “The World's Greatest County Fair: The Clay County Fair” are available for the cost of transportation only to any organization.
Reverend and Mrs. Parker, along with a group of county citizens, established the Parker Historical Society in 1960.
Museum artifacts were first exhibited on the second floor of a house owned by the Spencer Community School District. The first floor was used for Special Education classes. It was located on the south side of the 1914 High School building, which was one block from the Parker home. The society also constructed a building for agriculture items behind the Parker home at 300 East Third Street.
Realizing the museum would need a permanent home, Reverend and Mrs. Parker made arrangements to gift the house and surrounding property to Parker Historical Society when they no longer needed the home. Parker Historical Society took possession when Mrs. Parker moved to St. Luke’s nursing home in 1969.
“To collect, preserve, and interpret Clay County history for the education and enjoyment of the public.”